Emergency Shut Down Systems (ESD) are specialized highly reliable control systems for high risk industries like Oil and Gas, Nuclear Power or other Environments with explosion risk (Ex.). Their purpose is to protect personnel, plant, and the environment in case the process goes beyond the control margins.
Do I need a (new) ESD?
When you are not decided whether or not to buy and implement an ESD system or replace an existing one, you must ask yourself the following questions:
- Does your system comply with current regulations and industrial standards?
- Is your personnel and equipment really protected in case of an emergency?
- How much would a possible shutdown cost your company?
- Is it more cost-effective to run and maintain your current ESD system than implementing a new increased performance system?
Our ESD systems are certified up to SIL3 and comply with the internationally recognized standards ANSI/ISA S84.01 and IEC 61508. In order to meet these requirements SIS provides a combination of exceptional equipment availability, reliability, experience, and record of accomplishment. By choosing SIS ESD systems, you will receive a solution which ensures that no single point of failure will cause a nuisance trip or unwanted shutdown.
Difference between ESD and other SIS systems
ESD systems are usually implemented to function independently and at the same time with a PCS (Process Control System). It can be integrated with any new or existing SCADA system using standard communication interfaces. While the PCS will cover its operation in normal conditions, as well as programmed operations for process power on and shutdown, the ESD systems interfere in the normal operation only when an emergency is detected that may lead to a hazardous situation.
Importance of choosing the right ESD solution
Societatea de Inginerie Sisteme’s ESD system based on HIMA controllers substantially reduces project implementation time and provides a highly cost-effective instrumented solution:
- HIMA ESD systems are fault tolerant — certified to function safely in the presence of one or several faults, thereby eliminating nuisance trips attributed to other safety systems with lower redundancy.
- The HIMA controller’s remote input/output (I/O) capability dramatically reduces costs associated with long cable runs, making it superior to conventional systems.
- Outstanding diagnostics capabilities quickly identify failed instruments, load faults or faulted modules, simplifying replacement and improving overall safety and availability of your process. In addition to this, any faulty module can be replaced during runtime.
Societatea de Inginerie Sisteme’s experience and knowledge in ESD Systems
SIS has trained professionals in designing, implementing and executing ESD systems. Our references in the upgrade and implementation of ESD systems cover more than 20 projects, out of which the most relevant were detailed in the Reference section.